/ Curriculum Vitae /
Business Insider, June 2015- Present
Evening News Editor
- Lead news coverage during the nighttime hours at Business Insider
- Manage and edit a team of interns and reporters to produce timely, engaging content that both reports breaking news and breaks new ground.
- Manage Business Insider's social accounts (Facebook, Twitter, etc) during evening hours to ensure our stories are where people are.
- Curate BI's front page to feature an engaging mix of news and features on a variety of topics.
- Review, frame, and publish wire stories, including Associated Press, Reuters, and Agence France Presse.
Business Insider, September 2013-June 2015
Reporter, News Team
- Wrote, reported, and researched 200+ features in politics, law, science, and life verticals
- Produce, write, and shoot multimedia packages that include long-form articles, short “break-out” posts, and photo slideshows on compelling subjects (e.g. radical political activists in New York City, effect of marijuana legalization on Washington’s medical marijuana industry, the economics and culture of professional video game teams)
- Find and write compelling, unique angles on breaking news, including coverage of Ferguson, MI shooting, MH17 crash, conflict in Ukraine, and Ebola outbreak.
- Assist in management, editing, and curation of front page.
- Experience using social networks and deep-web research for surfacing unique stories, scoops, and sources
- Help train new interns and junior reporters on BI style, news angles, and editing
- Assist in management and editorial direction of BI’s Facebook page (2+ million “likes”)
PDNedu, Rangefinder- Emerald Expositions, June 2012-January 2014
Contributing Writer & Editor
- Wrote, reported and researched over 50 features articles and profiles
- Rewrote, fact checked, and copy-edited articles
- Organized, managed and edited the Emerging Photographer blog, overseeing work of three contributors
- Utilize social media (Facebook, Twitter) to spread awareness of PDNedu and Rangefinder brands
- Independently conceptualize and produce web content for both online and print publications
The Takeaway, WNYC / Arwa Gunja, Senior Producer / Summer 2010
- Researched, fact-checked and copy edited news segments for morning radio program
- Cut and edited audio clips for news segments.
- Actively sought and booked new guests for news segments
- Independently produced multiple sports segments
Thrillist Media / Richard Blakely, Managing Editor / Summer 2011, Spring 2012
- Researched and updated content on Thrillist.com using content management system to be better optimized for mobile applications
- Found Twitter handles for companies featured in the 20 different daily newsletters and composed direct tweets to these handles to drive new traffic to Thrillist.com
- Worked closely with Boston editor on content generation and strategy
- Researched and wrote stories using unique Thrillist voice on new restaurants, bars and products for Thrillist Boston
Tufts University / Medford, MA / 2008-2012 3.57 GPA
University of Cape Town / Cape Town, South Africa / 2011
Tufts Daily / 2008-2010 / News Editor, 2010, Asst. News Editor, Spring 2009, Asst. Op-Ed Editor & Editorialist, Fall 2008,
- Copy-edited and fact-checked multiple news articles daily, adhering to the conventions of AP style
- Wrote news articles twice weekly covering multiple beats, including local community and Tufts administration
- Wrote weekly editorials representing the Tufts Daily Masthead
- Managed and mentored 4+ student reporters
Proficient in: Wordpress, CMS, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat), Adobe Lightroom, Quark XPress, MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Final Cut Pro, Social Media (Tumblr, Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram)